Monday, March 16, 2015

Batesville High School History Reflection

It has been a long process. The process that has been undergoing the completion of this project has taken quite a while due to my lack of time and I'm shamed to say, lack of motivation. It has been bumpy at times. The hardest part of this assignment was gathering the data to inform the reader with, and to find data/facts/quotes that would be both interesting and relevant. This was the challenge.

During the research process, the whole senior English 12 class went to the Old Independence County museum. This first trip that we all took as a group was, sadly, a failure for me personally. I didn't know what to look for; consequently, I found not a thing during the first trip to this history bank. I went again after I discovered some topics that were discovered by Mrs. Gillmore, my hard working and dedicated instructor of English. I then saw some interesting topics that might be of my interest for the assignment. I went to the museum, with topics on my brain and an idea of how to find these sources, on a Sunday after I went to church and ate. The librarian was a tad sassy, but helpful nonetheless. I learned quite a bit about the old Independence county and what it used to be. I also learned of some older customs that the school used to hold. These things sparked my interest.

I read some interesting and funny stories of the old school and those who dwelt in it. One of which was a story I read about the basketball team of the season of 1929 that played the Arkansas School for the Deaf. The team of Batesville High School lost significantly, but the humility didn't end there; furthermore, Coach Ward was recorded saying, "it was a case of the dumb playing the deaf." This story might have been the funniest thing I read during the whole research process. I like comedy and funny things; therefore, this caught my attention and made it to my first paragraph.

Finally, to conclude this blog with a reflection of the whole process and non completion of this history book of Batesville High School and its previous years of vibrancy and how it came to be the excellence that it is today. Though my slothfulness has become to reach for me a bad grade, I do have a positive outlook on this exploration. It is always interesting to see the process of progression among things that are of importance or even the simple things that we are apart of. To be completely honest, I thought the mere idea of this book and lazy students writing it with a deadline was insane, but somehow, it has come along. All in all, this assignment could have helped my grade and it has gained me some interesting, but mostly useless knowledge. I like that kind of stuff. This was a fair idea after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment